Portfolio Five is 9 years old. The beneficiary contributed $5000 and the trustee $10,000 for a total of $15,000. The current value is $17,439 for a gain of $2,439 or 16% which is 2.7% adjusted for the timing of cash flows. You can see details here or on the link on the right.
With the recent market performance we have several stocks on watch:
- Alibaba (BABA) – at about 70% of its 52 week peak, has been hit by slow down in China and also a possible previous over-valuation in software stocks
- Baozun (BZUN) – a Chinese e-commerce enablement fun has gone down recently tied to a slow down in growth for China overall. On watch
- Baidu (BIDU) – another Chinese internet company down about 30% off its peak. Will watch like Alibaba, above
- General Motors (GM) – has fallen about 20% recently and taken hard steps including layoffs to get ahead of slowing car demand
Portfolio five is nine years old. The beneficiary contributed $4500 and the trustee $9000 for a total of $13,500. The current value is $17,823 for a gain of $4,323 or 32% which is 5.5% / year after adjusting for the timing of cash flows. You can see the detail here or on the link to the right.
There are a few stocks on watch:
- Baozun (BZUN) – the Chinese e-commerce enablement firm is still up a lot for the year but down about 20% from a recent peak. Likely to keep holding
- General Motors (GM) – recently all the automakers took a hit in price. Decent dividend and fundamentals haven’t changed much recently. Will watch
- Anheuser Busch Inbev (BUD) – the giant world wide beer company is well run but hasn’t had much growth in its stock price. Will watch
- Baidu (BIDU) – the Chinese internet stock lost about 20% of its value in the recent drop in the overall Chinese market. Will watch
Portfolio Five is 8 1/2 years old. The beneficiary contributed $4500 and the trustee $9000, for a total of $13,500. The current value is $16,640 for a gain of 23%, which is 4.1% / year adjusted for the timing of cash flows. You can see portfolio five details here or go to the link on the right.
This year we sold 2 stocks, TTM and SAVE, for a short term tax loss of ($78) and a long term gain of $24. We also had $291 in dividends.
The portfolio is generally doing pretty well and came back a bit from the early February market activity. We are watching JNPR because it may be in play as a takeover candidate.
Portfolio five is 8 years old. The trustee contributed $8000 and the beneficiary $4000 for a total of $12,000. The current value is $14,184 for a gain of $2,184 or 18%, which works out to 4% / year. See detail here or go to a link on the right.
We are evaluating stocks to sell prior to our summer purchases.
- Tata (TTM) – Indian automaker who is down significantly. Likely sell
- Spirit Airlines (SAVE) – US discount airlines that is facing more competition and headwinds. Possible sell
- ConocoPhillips (COP) – integrated oil and gas company hit by falling commodity prices. Possible sell
Portfolio Five is almost 5 years old. The beneficiary contributed $4000 and the trustee $8000, for a total of $12,000. The current value is $14,522, for a gain of $2522 or 21%, which is about 4.3% / year when adjusted for the timing of cash flows. Go here for details or see the link on the right of the page.
We are looking at several stocks. ConocoPhillips (COP) has been hit hard by the decline in oil prices, but has kept a modest dividend. Spirit Airlines (SAVE) has been a great stock but has come down recently. Tata Motors (TTM) provides some diversity in terms of currency and emerging markets but is down about 20% from highs. Juniper Networks (JNPR) has been doing well but long term they face risks from Amazon (AMZN) and the cloud.
Portfolio 5 is 7 1/2 years old. The beneficiary contributed $4000 and the trustee $8000 for a total of $12,000. The current value is $14,151 for a gain of $2151 or 18%, which is about 3.6% / year adjusted for the timing of cash flows. You can go here to see the portfolio or go to the links on the right side of the page.
The portfolio is about 50/50 with US and foreign stocks. Almost half the stocks are considered “high dividend” with a dividend of near 3% or greater. Gilead (GILD) is a recent drugmaker purchase and Anheuser Busch InBev (BUD) are both pretty well run companies on or near watch.
On a side note, this is one of the first portfolio to be almost totally run by formulas in Google Sheets. I incorporated vLookups and re-arranged the sheets a bit to have more of the information on buys and sells populate automatically. Due to these changes, it will be much easier to update this portfolio in the future and it will be the template that I will apply to the other portfolios as I migrate them to Google Sheets.
Portfolio five is a bit over 7 years old. The beneficiary contributed $4000 and the trustee $8000 for a total of $12,000. The current value is $14,071 for a gain of $2071 or 17%, which is 3.5% / year when adjusted for the timing of cash flows. The spreadsheet can be found on the link to the right or you can download it here.
During 2016 we had about $223 in dividends for an average yield of about 1.6%. There was a capital loss of $134 on the sale of LinkedIn (which was bought by Microsoft). The portfolio is doing well, with Spirit Airlines (SAVE) being a recent winner. Our sales also seem OK in hindsight.